Doing something as simple as taking a fish oil supplement can help you lose a few extra pounds each month. Unlike weight loss supplements (which we of course HATE here at AJ’s) your overall health will benefit from taking fish oil. In addition to helping you lose weight, taking fish oil every day can help your brain, heart, and joints health.
How does it work though?
Good question… Well, fish oil can help you lose body fat for a number of reasons:
- Fish oil provides essential fats because it is made up of omega-3 fatty acids. Essential fats are those which the body can’t produce on it’s own – they must be eaten – and we must have them for optimal function.
- Fish oil won’t turn into fat in the body though. Instead the body will favourably use the fat from fish oil to build the outside lipid (fat) layer that protects our cells.
- Any kind of fat can be used to do this, trans fats, omega-6 fats, but your cells will function the best, and metabolism will be optimal if fish oil makes up a portion of the cell lipid layer. This is because it improves the activity of insulin. This allows for better insulin sensitivity, which is a principal factor in fat loss. If you have poor insulin sensitivity you will have a very difficult time losing fat!
- Fish oil decreases cortisol and can promote muscle building. Studies in both men and women have shown that increased omega-3 levels will aid protein synthesis, producing a significant muscle building effect.
Which fish oil to take:
We would recommend taking a good quality product such as Optomega 3 fish oils by Natural Nutrients.
- Optomega 3 contains high levels of he health boosting fatty acids suggested to help almost all health ailments, from heart disease to strokes, to arthritis and high cholesterol.
- Optomega 3 Fish Oil offers increased benefits to those that are more active, such as athletes or regular exercisers, and helps further heighten the activity of fat burning enzymes and genes helpful to someone looking to lose weight.